• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle priming without the pop

Pahlavan

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I usually put in around 3.5g of cane sugar in each bottle to carb it. If it has been still in the fridge it opens without mess and holds a great head but if i transport it to mates house i have to open it over a sink ass it gushes it out. I always just accepted that as normal.

But when i buy bottled conditioned beers they usually open with no mess or gushing at all.

Why is that?
How can i achieve that?

What does BeerSmith calculate for you to use?  Perhaps you are using too musch sugar.  In BeerSmith, it calculates the priming sugar for your batch, you mix it in your bottling bucket before bottling to ensure even amounts in each bottle.

The way to get bottle conditioned beers is to get the yeast to ferment to the final gravity, then prime with the correct amount of priming sugar.

What process differences do you have that might cause problems?  For me, I've rushed to the bottle before final gravity and that produced bottle bombs.

I do have the beer smith app but im still learning how to use it.

I took the 3.5g per 500ml bottle from a scaled down formula from Palmers How to Brew book.
The wort is fully fermented.

So is it possible to have a bottle primed beer knocking about in your bag, opened without the gushing and mess?

I usually put in around 3.5g of cane sugar in each bottle to carb it.

You're adding sugar directly to the bottles? I've always boiled the sugar for the entire batch to sanitize it, then stirred it into the bottle bucket. That way it's evenly distributed and not adding an infection.

I agree with the others.  Add it to the entire batch.

I take beer to meetings, friends homes, etc.  I don't usually have gushers from transportation.  I'm also careful not to let them move around a lot during transportation.  Usually, when they gush after transportation, they usually gush at home too.

Pahlavan said:
I took the 3.5g per 500ml bottle from a scaled down formula from Palmers How to Brew book.
The wort is fully fermented.

I'm not sure how the cane sugar compares to priming sugar... and i'm not sure how the weight compares to the volume i'm about to give... but i did the same thing, scaled down from 3/4 cup per 5 gallon batch and came out to about 3/4 teaspoon per bottle.  is your 3.5g a touch less than a teaspoon or much more?  if much more, scale it back a bit?

Hi,

I do mix the total in a bottling bucket i was just giving an average amount per bottle.

Ok i will try a bit less sugar.

Thanks

Try corn sugar(priming sugar) instead of cane sugar. I use 3/4 of a cup for a 5 gallon batch. that comes out to 3/4 tsp per 12 oz bottle. Be sure to boil it in a couple cups of water to sanitize and add it to the bucket before you rack off your beer. That way you get even distribution.

Back