• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Shopping List thoughts

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I like the shopping list feature... very nice when running to the store and helping me remember exactly what it is I need. One thing I noticed, however, is that if you use the "Add to List" button while viewing a recipe, it puts all the ingredients used in the recipe on the list. What would be helpful/nice is if the program first checked your inventory, and if you already had some of the ingredients in stock, it would not include those on the shopping list. I think this would very helpful for brewers who try to maintain an inventory of grain and hops, so they--well, so I--know if I can brew on a moment's notice.

Colin,
 Another hidden feature (yes I know - there are too many of them) ...there is actually a column called "Needed" that you can add to your shopping list that displays the diffrence between the "Amount" and "Inventory" columns.

1. Pick the shopping list view
 2. Select the "Customize Columns" command on the "View" menu
 3. Select the "Needed" column and add it to the list of columns (preferrably at the end)...

Now you will have a "Needed" column that shows you how many items you need to buy that are not in the inventory.

Cheers!
Brad

MAybe I just use the software in a different way.  If I have 10 lbs of 2 row on hand and want to get 50 lbs more wouldn't it be 60 lbs needed not 40? 

I just had another thought on the shopping list.  Sometimes my brew shop is out of some of the ingredients I go shopping for.  When I add to list it adds all the items.  I presently have to delete the items I didn't buy - add to list - then add the ingredient back to the shopping list for the next time I go.  I think a check box next to the item would be a nice feature so only the checked items are added to inventory and deleted off of the shopping list.  The remainder stays on the shopping list.  Again just a thought.

Back