• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Absorption Calculation

irish91001

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I know there are several calculators online to determine the amount of water absorbed by hops, but is this calculation incorporated anywhere in BS2 or do I have to modify the Losses to Trub/Chiller in the equipment profile for each recipe?

That way if I brew a Stout with 2 oz of hops or a big IPA with 5 oz, the boil volume would adjust automatically? Of if I were to brew the same beer but in different size batches. Is a 5 gallon batch with .75 gal loss to trub a linear equation to where it becomes 1.5 gal loss for a 10-gallon batch?

What about loos when dry hopping

Trub/chillers doesn't seem to fit the bill
Rick

If you are dry hopping it is a very minimal loss.  Why worry about it?

When dry hopping a double IPA where the total amount is 6-9oz, the loss is measurable, IMO

Rick

When you take a sample into a sample jar to test with the hydrometer, do you account for that too? Same amount of wort/beer being used.

I ended up with only 3 gallons on my last double ipa. That is more headspace than I would have liked in the keg. It would be nice if there was a hop absorption settings for each type of hop addition.

I simply have multiple equipment profiles. One for "regular" beers with only the basic trub loss I get with any beer. Then I have profiles for IPA and Double IPA that account for the increased loss from hops.

Back