• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add option for elevation

llama

New Forum Member
Reaction score
While adding an option for elevation might seem trivial I can think of two important impacts; CO2 pressure for kegging and Mash Out infusions.

I live at ~8000' and must manually adjust for both of these setting. CO2 is an easy adjustment as I've found a handy table New Belgium built for serving pressure/elevation, still it would be nice to have that automated. http://www.newbelgium.com/files/CO2%20Selection%20Chart.pdf

Mash out is a PITA. I haven't found a way to override the default infusion temperature of mash out infusion. Water here boils at ~197* yet the software wants me to add water at much higher temperatures, impossible. Currently I fire up ProMash and perform the calculation manually. It would be great to just tell BeerSmith your elevation and have it not give you infusions that exceed your boiling point. Is there a way to make this adjustment manually until the elevation setting is available?

Thanks,
Dustin 

llama said:
Mash out is a PITA. I haven't found a way to override the default infusion temperature of mash out infusion. Water here boils at ~197* yet the software wants me to add water at much higher temperatures, impossible. Currently I fire up ProMash and perform the calculation manually. It would be great to just tell BeerSmith your elevation and have it not give you infusions that exceed your boiling point. Is there a way to make this adjustment manually until the elevation setting is available?

Thanks,
Dustin

I think the solution here is to drive the mashout step's volume of water up.  More water at a lower temp = same amount of heat added.  When you increase the volume you should see the temp required drop.

Back