• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Read-only values presentation

Dodes

Brewer
Reaction score
It would be great if the read-only edit controls could be significantly different (in the term of presentation) from the non-read-only ones, because then the faster recognition of read-only values would be possible (for intance in the "Design" page, "Est Original Gravity" or "Total Grains" in the bottom of the page). It is minor feature but in my opinion very useful.
As now, for instance on Windows 7, the read-only edit control has thicker border. I would like to propose to also change the background color of the edit control or to make it without border (in wxWidgets using wxBORDER_NONE style). Also using some bold for the text would be fine.

I would use the "without-the-border + bold" style for the all text that are const, that is they're immutable once set (for instance "Est Original Gravity" could use non-border style with the bold font). The items that are computed or can be changed could use only "without-the-border" style (for instance "Total Grains", "Est Preboil Gravity").

What do you think?

I like it, or even separate all the read only values instead of mixing them in randomly with values that need changing.

Yes, If they could be separated also it would be great :)

In Options > Look and Feel, you have four color schemes to use. I find that the Green configuration allows a lot more differentiation than the default blue, between editable and read-only fields.

The Black scheme has even more contrast with RO fields being reversed out.

FWIW, I like the editable fields near the predictive because it offers a quick at-a-glance comparison.

I still thinks that Read-only values should be better separated. Yes color change could be some workaround but I don't like either of them (green, blue or black).

I know that separating read-only values from the editable wouldn't satisfied all user so I will leave it for now (Maybe having some option for it but then it would complicate the dialogs creation for the beersmith author).

I still think that Read-only values should be shown with different style they're now. Maybe having option in the "Look and Feel" options to define the Font properties would also suffice (with some checkbox to use the control frame).

Back