• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Loss to trub/chiller

WingedWheel329

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm having some efficiency issues and want to make sure that I'm calibrating my equipment properly.

I have a deadspace of 1.88 gallons in my keggle that's below the pickup tube. Should this be accounted for by using the "loss to trub/chiller setting, or should it be accounted for in another way?

When I installed a sight glass on this keggle, I started with an empty vessel when adding water to make my volume marks. Should I have done this from the 1.88 gallon mark instead of with an empty vessel?

WingedWheel329 said:
I have a deadspace of 1.88 gallons in my keggle that's below the pickup tube. Should this be accounted for by using the "loss to trub/chiller setting, or should it be accounted for in another way?

Yes. Along with any other loss you can measure along the way. It's the total of the difference between post boil kettle volume and measured fermenter volume.

When I installed a sight glass on this keggle, I started with an empty vessel when adding water to make my volume marks. Should I have done this from the 1.88 gallon mark instead of with an empty vessel?

Yes... and no... and maybe....

As long as the marks are used consistently, you're golden. My measurement marks are all in the kettle, hot, and include the trub space. I simply use my brew sheet to deduct the expansion and total loss to get my yield. 

If your marks are all based on cold temps, that's fine, too. Just know that you'll have about 4% more volume in the kettle when it's hot.

I think a very efficient measuring stick has a full boil kettle mark, post boil kettle mark and on the other side, some gallon increment marks for the fermenters. Any other kettle marks are only needed for sparge volumes and velocity.

brewfun said:
I think a very efficient measuring stick has a full boil kettle mark, post boil kettle mark and on the other side, some gallon increment marks for the fermenters. Any other kettle marks are only needed for sparge volumes and velocity.

I never thought of doing this!  Full boil kettle mark and post boil kettle mark would give me instant feedback!  Thank you for improving my process!!  +1

Back