• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

how much boil off will I get with a keggle?

benjah

Apprentice
Reaction score
Noob to all grain. My current setup is a turkey deep fryer Ive been using for malt extract kits. I usually get about 3/4 gal per hour boil off. Im thinking about getting a keggle, just wondering if anyone can tell me the boil off amount. Want to program it into my equipment setup profile. Thanks!

No one here can answer that question.  We have no idea how many BTU's your burner is.  We don't know how vigorous you boil your wort.  The good news is that you can answer that question yourself.  Put five gallons of water in your new keggle and bring it up to a boil.  Once boiling commences, start a timer.  After 60 minutes, turn off the burner, let the water cool and measure the volume remaining.  Subract the volume remaining from your 5 gallon starting volume and that is your one hour boil off rate.

It's important to measure the remaining volume cold, since your starting volume is also cold.  You could measure it hot, but you have to take the 4% shrinkage amount into account if you measure your final volume hot.

Thanks @scott ickes. That is a fabulous answer. I will definitely do that!!

I agree with Scott, but a typical rate is 1 gal/hr.  That is what I get using my keggles and it doesn't vary much with how high or low the boil is.

Just a quick update on this post- I get 1.5 gallons evaporated off the keggle with a 1 hour boil. Also with my new pickup tube installed it leaves .33 gallons of trub on the bottom after I pump out all wort.

I plugged these stats into "my equipment" profile and beersmith calculated it perfectly for me. Last all grain batch I made, i was left with exactly 5 gallons in the carboy!! Amazing program, beersmith Rocks!! ;D

Back