• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multi step iinfusion advice

WM7793

Brewer
Reaction score
For the first 6 all grain brews, I have used a standard infusion mash (66 degrees C for 90 mins, 2.5L/Kg grist ratio) to produce standard english ales. I have been asked by a member of the family to brew a Budvar Czech lager. (I will be using Weyermanns standard bohemian pilsner malt, not the floor malted variety)

After trawling the internet for information on mash profiles, I was bewildered by the number of possible temperature/time profiles that different people were using. To cover my bases, at this point, I was considering a protein rest of 40 degrees C for 20 mins, 50 degrees C for 20 mins, saccrification rest of 67 degrees C for 50 mins, and mash out of 75 degrees C for 15 mins.

To further complicate matters I have tried to work out the mineral additions at each infusion step, using Brun'water to maintain mash ph.

Now this is an small experimental brew of only 12L with a total grain bill of 3309 gms.

The potential problem I see here is that I mash in a 33L Colemans coolbox, the total mash water is calculated by Beersmith to be 24.61L. With the sparge water at two steps of 11.23L, I may run out of space very quickly. (Current settings are: Batch sparge fill 100%, equal batch sparge size)

Firstly, please advise me, but I think that by setting the mash profile to drain before sparging, would this alleviate the problem somewhat?

Secondly, I would welcome any thoughts the more experienced brewers may have on this topic.

(I could be persuaded to try the Hochkurz mash schedule ie 61-63 degrees C for 40 mins, 70 degrees C for 60 mins and 75 degrees C for 20 mins for a Budvar, or any suggestions for a successful mash profile that works with the Weyermanns Bohemians pilsner malt!

Best regards,

WM7793

The modified malt used today, doesn't require multistep infusion. I would just decide the body of beer and adjust the infusion temp to that. When adjusting  your water with Brun'water  just adjust water for overall mash, overall sparge. I'm old fashion so I use a unneeded mash protein step of 128f 53c degrees with .9 grain/water ratio. It warms the tun and allows need to fine tune the temp by adding a little cold or hot water before going to the main infusion step.

The variety of temperature rests were required when most malt was not fully modified. As ihikeut said, it's not necessary with today's malt.

I've had good luck making lagers using single step method. Doing the extra steps will lengthen the brew-day for little or no gain.

If you do want to do multi step mashing, look into decoction. Basically you remove a portion of the mash, bring it to a boil, and add it back in to raise the temperature. This way you don't increase the volume. Not only that, but boiling the grain caramelizes it a bit, which adds to the flavor. I use the decoction method when I mash out.

Agreed.  The most important thing is to make sure to pitch enough yeast & temp control

Thank you for all your replies, at least that answers that question.

What about mash temperatures, are we looking at here? 66-67 degrees C for 90 mins?

Again, with respect to the yeast, would you go with approx 50% more yeast than a standard beer?

Best regards,

WM7793

The mash temperatures will be fine. You'll need to go for 1.5 to 2 times the amount of yeast depending on what strain you use.

I made a very simple Kolsch recently using WLP 029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast. I used Weyermanns Pilsner Malt, some Cara Pils and a lot of Saaz to give me about 40 EBUs. I mashed at 66C for 75 minutes and boiled for 90 minutes. Using Kolsch Yeast meant that I could ferment at 20C. It was very clear and turned out surprisingly similar to Budvar. Everybody who tasted it thought it was a lager.

Thanks guys for all your inputs!

It is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
WM7793

Back