• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I wonder when...

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
....the first marijuana recipe will be posted.  Since it's now legal to purchase it here in Washington where I live, I'm sure some homebrewer is going to put it into beer.  Since I'm not into pot, I have no idea if it would even add anything to the beer, but I am curious.

I've been curious about this for quite a while... seems like it's not the most efficient use of the product, but I'm VERY curious as to what your method was and how it turned out!!!

I would say it's best to just let old dogs lye, but seams the cat is out of the bag. cough- cough. burrrp.

Got a buddy that grows. Gave me a fist full of the trimmings.
I soaked it in vodka and added the tincture at bottling. I don't use it so o gave it to some herb friendly friends of mine. They said it did the job for them.

That's awesome. I wonder what the high is like.

Hops and marijuana are in the same family. Literally.

Hops are scientifically classified as is Cannabaceae Humulus lupulus, while marijuana is Cannabaceae Cannabis sativa (or indica or ruderlis).

In fact one time when my stepson's cop father came over while I was making beer, he started hassling me because he claimed he could smell marijuana. What he smelled was the hops. He didn't relent until I showed him the pellets in their packaging.

Based upon the family relationship and the similar smell, I figure marijuana beer might not taste too bad.

Might be tasty to dry "hop" with it in an IPA.  But i think without being heat activated there would be no extra kick from the active ingredient in the herb. For that the extraction with alcohol could be done and then added to the brew as well.

i've wondered if the heat is really necessary since watching some documentary on medicinals and one guy was just popping buds like they were candy.  no heat.  maybe without heat you just don't get the same potency?

That's interesting. This webpage says you do.

Raw cannabis contains a lot of THCA which is not psychoactive (and what's the fun in that?). When you smoke or vaporize marijuana, the cannabis is "decarbed" (decarboxylated) by the heat and becomes psychoactive. If you ingest cannabis, and want the full psychoactive effect, you need to first decarb your cannabis before you cook.
http://www.thestonerscookbook.com/how_to_cook_with_weed.php

Back