• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash rest

jtoots

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
do you stir during the mash rest?  i haven't been, and i've noticed the following in a couple recent batches:

i'm using a cylindrical cooler for my mash tun.

-i hit my mash temp before closing the lid dead on.
-at the end of the mash i lift the lid and take temp readings in the middle and around the edges.
-around the edges the temp has gone down slightly, as expected (a degree or so).
-in the middle the temp has actually gone UP a couple degrees, as if the heat has migrated into the center of the tun.

any thoughts?  should i adjust my starting temp to account for this?  should i stir once during the rest?  all good, proceed as i have been?

thanks all!

Enzyme activity creates heat. Not a lot, but it can show as a slight temperature rise.

Stirring isn't necessary, but some brewers choose to do it. Just be gentle. You'll likely find that it won't take much to distribute the heat.

Gently stir the mash for a minute or two during mash-in and temps will be more consistent.

Mark

Thank you both for your responses.  I definitely stir well at mash in, the enzyme activity factor is something that I didn't know.  Much appreciated!!

Back