• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle volume and recipe scale question

hallett73

Apprentice
Reaction score
So here is where I expose my true ignorance.

I just acquired a custom made stainless brew system. total volume from bottom to rim is 55 liter/14.5 gal.
When considering the recipe, ( I'm using beersmith2.0 for android) where should i start as far as scaling goes. I want as much beer as I can get out of the batch. I would be pretty happy with 10gal total (I have 6 gal carboys). 
I have been messing around with recipe scaling on beersmith 2.0  but I am not certain I have my equipment profiles correct.
I will try to be more specific to my questions, as I am not really sure how or what to ask about it. I guess I am not confident, or maybe I may be using more grain than I need? most recipes I have calculated gives me an average of 18 to 20 pounds of base malt.. this sound accurate?

Most beers I make are 1.070 and use about 24 Lbs at %85 mash efficiency for 10 -12 gallons.

So that sounds about right for 1.045 ish depending on your efficiency.

Ok great! Its reassuring to know I am in the right ballpark then. I guess I will relax and have a homebrew!

Back