• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Editable Fermentation Profile Labels

erikpete18

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I was setting up a recipe the other day and got to thinking about something that would help me out a lot.  I also got a Beersmith email recently asking how the software was working, but thought I would post here in case someone had figured out a work around.

For my idea, I don't tend to use a secondary anymore (and really would only plan on using one if I was doing a fruit beer), instead opting to do my dry-hopping and oaking in primary (or the keg) and any aging in a keg.  Because of that the fermentation profile doesn't do me a lot of good.  On normal batches "primary" means the time in the fermentation chamber (~2weeks), "secondary" means the time outside the fermentation chamber finishing up (~2 weeks), "tertiary" is any dry-hopping or oaking time, and "aging" is the amount of time in the keg carbonating.  If I had the option to change the "primary, secondary, tertiary, and age" labels to something more specific, it would certainly help me out quite a bit, and make the calendar much more useful.  At this point when my calendar says to "tertiary" a batch, I've got to open up the file and remind myself what I was supposed to be doing.

If I'm getting a little further ahead of myself and asking for anything I want, it would also be nice to add fermentation steps, similar to the mashing tab.  That way I could break down each movement so that in a year I don't have to go back and try to remember what I was doing at each point.  If the ability to add negative days to the profile was enabled, I could even add steps for starters so that the calendar covered everything for each batch.

+1

I've also made the suggestion that fermentation be allowed to have multiple steps for fermentation. The increased detail would really help with repeatability.

Back