• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Will 2 month cider carbonate in bottles?

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
The cider was 100% juice with enough sugar for OG to be about 60. Used wyeast cider smack pack with 1/2 gallon apple juice starter.  Got full attenuation (fg=00).

Moved to secondary at three weeks, stayed there for an additional 5 weeks.  If I bottle,  is the yeast too dead to carbonate the cider? If so, what can I do?
Thanks in advance!

I don't know. Never tried to bottle condition after leaving a brew in the secondary for that long.

Maybe you could to a test.

Prime a bottle or two with a teaspoon of sugar, cap them, and set them aside in a warm place for a week. Then open one. If it pops, then you know the yeast is still active. If not, wait another week and repeat.

If neither pop, then you'll probably have to add yeast at bottling time.  No need to worry about the details yet, because I doubt you will have to. I think it will work, but like I said I've never done it so I don't know for sure.

Maybe someone who has stored ales for that long in secondary before bottling will weigh in on this.

I just reread your original post. Five weeks? For some reason I was thinking three months.  D'OH!

Five weeks is fine. I looked up a couple recipes and they recommended secondary storage for four to six weeks.

http://www.northcornerbrewing.com/page/cider.aspx

You're all set.

Back