Author Topic: mylar vacuum sealer  (Read 6403 times)

KernelCrush

mylar vacuum sealer
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »
I bought a Sinbo brand vacuum sealer for hop storage.  There's not many will vacuum and also seal mylar like this one claims but fails.  It vacuums very slowly, it has 9 heat settings for the seal but none work for long on mylar, they all lose vacuum after just a day or 2.  Tried to return it, vendor ignored me, so Amazon credited me.  Works great on standard bags but that's not what I want.   

Can anyone recommend one they have that vacuums and seals well?

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: mylar vacuum sealer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »
Really?  Which model?  I have one that has been working well with the mylar bags with a heat setting of 6 or 7.  Vacuum sealed and still holding months later.  Maybe there is something wrong with the heating wire in yours (or maybe mine and I just got lucky?)
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

KernelCrush

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Glad your having good luck.  Which model you have?  Mine was a "NEW !! UPGRADED MODEL SINBO DZ-280/2SE Wide Seal for Mylar Bags ".  It came with some standard clear foodsaver bags.  I ordered 3.5 ml gallon bags and 4.3 ml  quart bags.  Maybe its the thickness?  But on 9 heat the mylar almost melts on both sizes. I tried every setting from 1-9.

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
Mine is the DZ-280, but not the extra wide model. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

KernelCrush

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Thanks OG.  The DZ280 works perfectly.  I must have got a bad one with the other model.  Only wish it was wide enough to reseal factory bags from hops direct.

modification