• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trying lighter beers

I

IPARULES

Hi everyone. I am from Fort Worth,TX and love to brew. I have made alot of heavy beers which is what I enjoy. I just started to make light beers or perhaps the last recipe I batched which was a real hoppy mineral water. I am confused on the batch. I assume the ingredients weren't enough. Does anyone have a light IPA with a semi sweet after taste. In comparison would be a honey brown with more hops. I look forward to the conversation.

IPARULES, I would be interested in seeing your recipe including your mash schedule. I think the easiest way to get the sweetness your after in a low alcohol brew is:

1. Raise your mash temp to 68c or above resulting in a more dextrinous wort.
2. Use more crystal style malts that will increase the body of your beer and also the sweetness.
3. I have noticed (and this is an opinion only) that larger quantities of flavour and aroma hops tend to lend the beer a sweeter and fuller/richer wort. This is may only be a perception based on the extra flavour/aroma in the beer from the late hopping.

Cheers
Andrew

Back