• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe entry

RichD

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there anyway to setup BeerSmith so that when entering a new recipe the yeast defaults to the current day and the measurements taken during the brew and at the end are blank?  I find it very tedious to blank out all these fields every time I enter a new recipe.

You can create a default recipe so that all of your typical ingredients and profiles are populated. It's a feature that's hidden in plain sight!  :D

1) Open a new recipe.
2) Set the equipment, mash, fermentation and carbonation profiles to your favorite types.
3) Set the style profile to the one you brew the most. Let me guess; IPA?
4) Add a basic amount of malt, hops and yeast to the recipe that hit moderate targets for the style you like to brew most.
5) Add typical brewing aids like Irish Moss, carbonation sugar or anything else you use for every batch.
6) Zero out all of the user fields that you'll enter on brew day.
7) In the Home tab, click "Set as Default." Then confirm your choice.

This recipe will now be what you see when you add a new recipe. All you have to do is change the dates on the recipe and yeast, then just substitute and add ingredients at will.

Pro Tip: Set the date to something far in the past. I set mine to 01/01/01. This makes all of your new recipes have this date and you can use that to separate them from recipes you've brewed by clicking the top of the date column in the recipe folder. I use this in the brewlog to show planned recipes and that I need to buy ingredients for them.

Back