• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HLT Dead Space

B

Big Tex

Hi All,

Going through equipment setup and I don't see a place where I can set the dead space for my hot liquor tank.  Does anyone know if there is a place where I can set the dead space like I do for the Mash Tun?

Tex,
  I don't have a specific setting for HLT deadspace.  I assume this would largely be a factor when calculating the sparge water to use in the HLT??

Brad

Brad,

I use a 10 Gallon igloo cooler for my HLT and in order to have the sparge water to come our corrrectly, I have to add .5 gallons to compensate for the deadspace.  It's no big deal but I wanted to see if there was somewhere where that was maintained and I just overlooked it.

Thanks,
Gary

I have been using ProMash for years now, and am considering purchasing BeerSmith. After playing around with the trial version of build 2.40, I have the same exact comment...no apparent way to add the HLT to the equipment profile. This is something that I would be very interested in, and rather curious why it was left out, considering how many other bells and whistles this software has?

I use a two-cooler and kettle setup for 5 and 10 gallon batches, and in addition to the deadspace, I would like to have a check box for adjusting the sparge water temp for the equipment thermal mass as well...just like it is for the mash tun. Any chance this could be added to the program in the near future?

I 3rd this idea.

I would like to see a HLT setup for the equipment profiles.
I.e. same settings as MLT for strike  temperature adjustments, dead space adjustments, etc.

Otherwise we either have to make manual adjustments that we can't capture anywhere except the brew sheet margins,
or we adjust the temp with an artificially high temp.

Adam

I'd also like to add my weight behind this.  I'm just in the process of setting-up the Equipment Profile for my 100L equipment and was surprised not to see the option for a HLT and it's deadspace.  It's a shame it's missing as the software pretty-much has everything else covered.  Cheers, 

Clive
Gosport
Hampshire, UK

I also support this. I have to manually add my dead space to the water addition.  Seems like an easy thing to fix.

I'm pretty new to brewing,  but must be missing the point here - I don't quite understand the need.

All I do is to use a graduated aluminum dipstick with  my HLT. 

If Beersmith tells me I need 16L of strike  water, and my dipstick tells me I am starting with 28L in the HLT, then I just pump the HLT over to the mash tun until I read 28-16 = 12L left showing on the on HLT dispstick,  then I top it back up again to be ready for the sparge.

Not clear on where the deadspace  in the HLT would enter into things  - I'm assuming that means the water level left in the HLT below the ball valve?

Brian

When the water level gets low enough just pick the vessel up and dump the rest in.  No dead space.  :)

Mark

I have since upgraded to a fired HLT, so it's not an issue for me any more, but my original issue was more regarding being able to accurately predict the thermal properties of a cooler as a HLT. When you are unable to easily re-heat the hot liquor, taking the thermal mass of the cooler into consideration is important, as is not being able to remove the lid to check volume, due to thermal loss to evaporation. If BeerSmith were able to take all of these things into consideration (and others I've probably forgotten about) it would make all-grain brewing for the fledgeling brewer that is using a two-cooler system much simpler.

Back