• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing a small beer using BeerSmith

Reaction score
Someone posted an excellent "How To" on making a small beer from the spent grains of an imperial beer using Beersmith. I can't find it now. Anyone know where I might find that posting?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,9516.msg39201.html#msg39201

Thank you. yes, I believe it is. Looks a little different than what I remember but an excellent article.  All my brews are imperial beers. Taking the guess work out of the small beer process will result in a more predictable and consistent beer.

The way I do it, is I create a new copy of the Imperial beer and rename it.  For example, I made a beer I call Ebony & Ivory RIS.  It's a chocolate/vanilla Russian Imperial Stout.  Once I have that recipe in my brew log, I copy and paste it again into my brew log.

I then rename it Parti-Gyled Ebony & Ivory RIS.  I then run my desired boil volume through the spent grains and collect it in my boil pot.  Once I have it collected in my boil pot, I measure the actual OG.  I got 1.061 for mine.  I then open the Parti-Gyle version of the recipe and double click on the "Estimated Original Gravity Slider" in Beersmith.  This opens up a window where I can type in my original gravity of 1.061 for my parti-gyle.  My Ebony and Ivory RIS is a 1.089 OG.  My parti-gyle off of it this past summer was that 1.061.  Then I click on OK after changing the 1.089 to 1.061 in the window.  Now my grain bill on the Design page will be adjusted to show a 1.061 OG and all of the grains will be dropped down in quantity accordingly, but the percentage of each grain in the grain bill is still exactly the same as it should be!

I can then decide what hops I want and what style of beer I think I can create with the new grain bill with my lower starting gravity.  Mine ended up being a Robust Porter.  I hopped it accordingly for a Robust Porter and it turned out to be quite nice.  The grain bill was a little complicated for a Porter, but it worked out well.

Back