• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

did i make a sour?

all grain

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Ok, about 8 months ago I did a experiment making a sour witch I just opened today. what I did was use the 2nd running's off an ale where I threw in some fresh un mashed grain in the tun. then continued the mash at 120-135 for 24 hrs. drained into kettle and boiled 90 min. ended up with 1 gal of 1.050 sour as hell and kind of smelly wert. cooled and pitched some 05 yeast. let it ferment for 50 days, fg 1.007. now after its been bottled for 6 months I opened one up. srm of the stuff is 4, no head, vary clear and lots of big bubbles and highly carbonated.  Its sour like apple juice with a hint of vinegar to it. I'm not saying this is a good sour or even a beer or a sour for that matter but the taste is really not that bad. P.S. I'm not planning on drinking more then a few sips for now but my question is what did I make? I think I may use it as a marinade. can't wait to hear what you all say. please keep in mind that this was just an experiment.         

Back