• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Winesmith?

M

makystir

It couldn't be too hard to translate much what you've already got over to winemaking right?  There is absolutely NO good home-winemaking software out there, trust me I've scoured the internet looking for some.

I'm a beer homebrewer at heart but wanted to dabble in winemaking as well.  I think you've got a huge opportunity to corner the market on easy to use winemaking software, especially since your competition almost doesn't exist at all.

Just a thought,

Kevin

Kevin,
  I would love to do it but my wine knowledge is minimal at best.  I've been brewing beer for 22 years, but never made a batch of wine.

What additions would be needed to adapt BeerSmith for wine use?

Thanks,
Brad

Being a winemaking newbie I'm sure there's a lot about it that I don't know either, but here are a few items that would be necessary:

Sulfite Calculator
Info on fermentable sugar % for different grapes and fruits, as well as flavor characteristics, color profiles etc.
Much added info on different wine yeasts
Differences between extract/puree/whole fruit ingredients
The process of winemaking is very similar, but there are differences.  For example, usually you rack the wine out of the secondary to a tertiary fermenter to get it off the fruit sediment.
There are many additives for wine that we beer folks aren't usually too familiar with (pectic enzyme, sulfites, tannins etc)

Again, this is just a quick overview of some of the most important differences, I'm sure an experienced winemaker would have quite a lot more detailed advice.  Maybe someone else on these forums is a little more knowledgeable than myself.  Also, I'm sure if we really needed to get a hold of someone, we could find someone on morebeer.com's forums or northernbrewer.com's forums.  Not sure if i'm allowed to post sites like that but i assure you i'm not affiliated, those forums just have tons of really helpful, knowledgeable people on em.

--Kevin

Back