• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Week Fermentation?

miletom

New Forum Member
Reaction score
New to home brewing and need advice.  I have 2 batches of extract brew in primary fermentation.  both are in a chest freezer with temperature steady at 65 degrees.  after 2 days, neither batch seems to be actively bubbling?  It appears that there is pressure in the airlock, but no visible activity.  Is this normal?

The bulk of the activity may have happened overnight while you were asleep. 

Also, are they in carboys or bucket fermenters?  If they're in a bucket fermenter, maybe the seals are leading a little around the lid and it isn't really going through the airlock, but leaking around the lid.

This is just the most likely stuff.  There's more that could be going on, but this is a place to start.

to the op, check to see if there is any(foam)  krauesen forming above the beer. if not then I would say the yeast you used may have been bad.
all in all we need more info here.
1 what yeast
2 how old was it(was there a date on it)
3 did you make any kind of starter.  (tell us more about your process)
sadly there are a lot of places that will sell you old, bad, and just plain sub par stuff. please don't get me wrong most stores are vary good at selling good high quality stuff and they are the ones that stay in business.
I've made 50+ batches and just lately I have got my hands on some poor dry yeast witch pretty much ruined my last 2 batches of beer. the only thing that saved them was some old yeast cake I had in the fridge witch I added on day 2 of the weak fermentation.     

Back