• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A Beer Smile - you know what I mean

BrewSmilee

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello friends and fellow enthusiasts!

My name is David.  I'm in southern Denver, Colorado (Highlands Ranch) area.  I'm a life long foodie, and libation lover. 

My wife made the mistake of taking me to the brew shop to buy starter equipment for my birthday.  ;D Well we all know what comes after that...  Scour Craigslist for bottles, more equipment, books, etc.  Read countless forum postings, download apps, pod casts, and on and on.  Think she'll regret the monster she created?  (That's why I'm making wine for her.  HA ha  Nothing like a pay off.)

So I found BeerSmith as I went seeking answers to why my first attempted kit came out a bit low on OG.  I had followed the instructions included to the T.  Based on some reading, I thought I understood now that the amount of malt to have come with the kit wouldn't hit the target OG.  More reading, post searches, etc.  One publication made mention of software and I did a quick search and found BeerSmith and the 21 day trial.  I downloaded, built my equipment profile, plugged in the ingredients and numbers.  Sure enough, BeerSmith gave me the OG I hit for an Extract / Steep, not that which was printed with the kit.  (Interestingly enough, as I played with the program and settings I switched the method from Extract to Partial Mash and BeerSmith gave me the kit target OG.)

I was impressed with the program, and certainly knew I would be brewing more.  Darn it, I've got to make some lagers you know.

Anyway, excited to be brewing and look forward to being part of the community.

Kindly,
David

In bottle:  One slightly low ABV ESB  (characteristically maybe it's an ordinary bitter.)
Fermenting: English IPA
Planned: Weizenbock

David welcome to the community, you're newbie here like me & i hope we will discuss more in next time. Good time friend :)

Back