• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Hopping question

W

wbc_leelee

Hi all
I am going to put a IPA down this weekend and thought that instead of dry hopping in the secondary (I am not keen on adding anything to my secondary) I thought perhaps I should give mash hopping a try. I see that Beersmith has a feature allowing for this in the calculations (what a program!!!). I have read this gives a really good result as far as aroma is concerned. Has anyone done this before and if so any advice or comments.
Regards
Andrew

I've done it with Cascade, Liberty, and Amarillo (and probably a couple other hops that I can't remember right now), and I have to say I was underwhelmed by the results. The beers turned out great, but the aroma wasn't what I was led to believe it would be. I've read that it works better with noble hops, which could be why my results weren't great.

So I guess the next logical question is What hops are you using?

Andrew,
 Just my two cents, but I prefer first wort hopping to mash hopping.  It brings out the flavor of the hops well but also helps it to balance and blend with the beer.

First wort hopping is simply adding the hops to the boiler as soon as you start your main sparge so it steeps while you lauter.  It usually produces great results.

Brad

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments, here is the recipe I planned to use. After reading comments from other groups I am starting to wonder if I should mash hop at all, I think I might take Brads advice and FWH.
Comments on the recipe would be appreciated.
Regards
Andrew

India Pale Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 1/11/2003
Style: India Pale Ale Brewer: Andrew Clark
Batch Size: 21.50 L Assistant Brewer:  
Boil Volume: 27.88 L Boil Time: 75 min
Equipment: Andrew's Mash Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (5 EBC) Grain 83.3 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (14 EBC) Grain 16.7 %
25.00 gm Super Alpha [13.0%] (75 min) Hops 37.3 IBU
20.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.0%] (30 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
28.00 gm Fuggles [4.5%] (75 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.9 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [6.4%] (75 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.28 items Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG (1.050-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.012-1.016 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 12 EBC (16-28 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 59.1 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 4.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.1 % (5.0-7.8 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 32 cal

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Mash Tun Weight: 3.50 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 6.00 kg Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 19.24 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: No

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.65 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (1.6-2.4 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 121.8 gm Temperature at Bottling: 15.6 C
Primer Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

Andrew,
 Looks like you are in the ball park here.  I personally prefer using traditional English ale yeasts (fuggles, EK Goldings, etc...) but it is very much up to you!

Also not sure about a full KG of munich malt - seems like it would be a little sweet.  I would probably use the right color crystal malt to match the profile color instead or cut down on the munich a bit.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head - I'm sure it will be a great IPA in any case since the hops is the dominant flavor!

Cheers!
Brad

Looks very good to me. I don't think the Munich will result in too much sweetness, but it will give the beer quite a bit more color and richness and help balance the hops. Actually if you're in an experimental mood sometime, try making this beer with all Munich -- you'll be surprised at the difference!

If you switch to first wort hopping, I would recommend adding some aroma hops late in the boil. In my limited experience with FWH, you'll get some flavor, some bitterness, and very little aroma. Mash hopping will give you some flavor, little bitterness, and some aroma, but like I mentioned above, it might not be the same aroma you'd get from late additions.

One more thing, you're not using any crystal malt, which again is fine, but if you have some dextrine malt (like carapils or carafoam) or a little wheat malt (150 g is enough), that will help with head retention.

Thanks for all the help guys the brew day went well and I did add some wheat malt, I'll let you know the results when I keg.
Reagerds
Andrew

Just a follow up on my mash hopping adventure. The IPA brew day went well, the mash smelt wonderfull with the hops added, recipe for this beer is in an ealier thread.
Kegged 2 days ago and today sampled the brew. this is a very smooth and bitter brew, flavor of this beer is fantastic the bitterness is smooth and not over powering at all. I have to say that I am very impressed with mash hopping as the flavor and aroma of the hops seem to blend very well with the malt.
I am definately going to brew this one again.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 Did you mash hop or First Wort Hop?

Brad

I mash hopped 28 grams of fuggles and 15 grams of hallertau.
Regards
Andrew

Back