• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

using beersmith- modifying recipes

benjah

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there- Im new to the allgrain scene, just got beersmith, and boy do I love it. Ive brewed a couple all grain batches so far, its been a fun experience. Way better than malt extract!
Just had a couple questions on using beersmith, hope Im in the right forum. I have been using shared recipes off the recipe cloud. Most of the recipes I want to use are for 10 gallon batches. I "copy local" and then plug in "my equipment" profile, which is set up for 5 gallon batches. But ive noticed that even after I do that, the grain bill and hops stay the same amount. They should go down or even be cut in half, Im imagining. So I have to manually go down to the "style guide comparison", and manually put all the bars for OG, color, bitterness, and ABV back to where they originally were BEFORE i plugged in "my equipment".
What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to program my profile so it will automatically adjust these recipes when I plug in my equipment profile? thanks

BeerSmith has this magic button labeled "Scale Recipe" on the middle ribbon.  Download the recipe you want to brew from BeerSmith and open it up.  Click on the scale recipe and it will give you the option of changing to your profile and adjusting the batch size to your taste.  BeerSmith will then adjust all the ingredients accordingly.  Make sure that you have the box labeled "match orginal gravity, color and bitterness" checked.

Back