• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Just added champagne yeast- what can I expect

benjah

Apprentice
Reaction score
Novice to All Grain here- brewed my 2nd batch this week. Using a 10 gallon recipe off beersmith cloud, I forgot to hit the "scale recipe" button. So my 5 gallon batch ended up with a lot higher OG than expected 1.087 wowsers.
Anyway the yeast starter that I had made 24 hours ago (WLP550 belgian ale yeast) didnt look terribly active but I aerated the wort properly and pitched anyways, hoping for the best. 48 hours later no activity and I was getting nervous. 72 hours later and my buddy told me I should just hydrate some champagne yeast I had in the fridge and pitch it, or I was in danger of losing the beer.
I hydrated a pack of Lalvin EC-1118 and pitched it. 24 hours later I see a very active fermentation and big head of krausen forming.
My question is- what kind of taste can I expect now that I threw champagne yeast in my beer? Is it gonna be awful? Do u think it will ferment completely? I realize for a beer that big I should have made 2 starters, but hindsight is 20/20.

I don't know what taste you can expect, but when you finish the brew and get to taste it, let us all know how it turns out! I am sure you'll have something drinkable.

Back