• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

reading gravity

irishjoe

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just started doing all grain. All my gravity has been the same with different batches. What am I doing wrong?

You are going to need to provide more detail than that - in all-grain brewing detail is everything!

When I check the grav for the first time , all the readings have been 1.1.I usually do a reading after the boil, before the second, and a final reading.I even changed the cylinder for the grav. I have done checks with extracts and had good readings. I use the bobber reading. I always had difficulties understanding the grav issue.

irishjoe said:
When I check the grav for the first time , all the readings have been 1.1.I usually do a reading after the boil, before the second, and a final reading.I even changed the cylinder for the grav. I have done checks with extracts and had good readings. I use the bobber reading. I always had difficulties understanding the grav issue.

When you do your post-boil reading, do you stir up the wort first?  Stirring evenly distributes the wort, and helps to normalize the reading.

Need more info. Please reply with the actual gravity readings that you measured the three different times for a single batch:

Post boil (OG): _____
Post boil wort sample temperature: ______

Intermediate gravity: ______

Final gravity (FG): _____

Back