• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting BeerSmith to acomodate for Cold Steeping Dark Grains.

indianajns

Apprentice
Reaction score
Decided to Cold steep my Dark grains via the method outlined by Strong where you steep your grains in room temp water, 2 qts of water to 1lb of grain overnight.  I'll add the steeped water to the boil after filtering out the grains with ~15 minutes left in the boil.    I have about 4 lbs of dark grains in my recipe for a 12 gallon batch so I will be adding 2 gallons of the steeped water at the end of my boil.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to adjust BeerSmith using this method. Would I just enter the recipe into BeerSmith without the dark grains and change the batch size from 12 gallons to 10 gallons, adding the 2 gallons of step water at the end of the boil? Thoughts?

I would think you would build your recipe as a 12 gallon batch size and enter all your dark grains for colour purposes as usual.

In your equipment profile you would enter 2 gallons as top up water - this should be about right then as the 2 gallons of steeping water are "removed" from the rest of the process as you desire... I think...

Shane

Back