• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun pre-heating?

msdnman

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Does Beersmith take into account the heat loss by the cooler. My current recipe says to add 30qts of water at 165.1 F and mash in at 152.0 F. If my cooler is at room temperature will I hit the 152 if I don't preheat my mash tun? I am using the default "Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out" profile.

First, if you are using the default, you should go back and look at the videos for setting up your equipment and mash profiles.  In the equipment profile, there are areas to enter the weight and specific heat for the mash tun (cooler) you have.  When these are set, the program will account for the temperature rise of the mash tun.  Make sure you have the correct starting temperature of the mash tun entered in the mash tab of your recipe.

+1 to Oginme's advice.

In the mash tab, under the mash profile select bar, you can select "Adjust temp for Equip" box. This will account for your equipment temperature and specific heat, as long as those are accurate. 

All true.  Or you could add slightly hotter water to the MLT, and do the pre-heating, and when it falls to the prescribed strike temp, add the grains.  This reduces that variance by pre-heating the vessel, leaving just volume of water and grain to deal with.

MaltLicker said:
All true.  Or you could add slightly hotter water to the MLT, and do the pre-heating, and when it falls to the prescribed strike temp, add the grains.  This reduces that variance by pre-heating the vessel, leaving just volume of water and grain to deal with.

Agreed!  +1  This is the method I use.  The main reason that I use it, is because it leaves only one variable to worry about.  Grain Temp.  I add the water hot than my strike temp.  Wait for it to fall to my strike temp (calculated based on my grain temp that particular day) and add the grain.  My mash in temperature is "ALWAYS" dead on!

As far as I'm concerned, hitting my mash in temperature is the goal.

I pre heat the tun with near boiling water. Then once my mash water is a few degrees above my strike temp i drain the pre heat water, add the grains to the mash tun then add the strike water. I stir like crazy until it stabilizes at the mash temp I want. Havent had any issues doing it this way

Back