• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New larger fermentors

twhitaker

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
  After having upgraded the Stainless steel 3 kettle brew station to handle 12 gallon batches in one mash, I was getting tired of splitting the wort up into 2 or 3 fermentors so it became clear the fermentor needed up sizing as well. After having checked out all the new fermentors on the market, including fastferm, stainless conicals and such, I found the one which seemed to be the solution.

60 liter capacity (15 US Gallons), spigot for transferring to kegs or bottles instead of syphon, handles, fermentation lock included. $89 bucks US at morebeer.com. Arrived at my door in Innisfil, Ontario Canada in 5 business days. Shipping extra.  Cost me $132 Canadian all in.

Now that I've used it, I love it. Easy to clean, small footprint, solid, food grade HDPE, lot of room for 12 gallons PLUS headroom for foam.          No Blowoff needed! In the attached pic, there is 46 liters in there (12 US gallons) of Schwedagen gold 2 (on the cloud).
I would say this fermentor fills the needs of larger batch volumes without being too costly or radical in design.

I've been using Speidel fermentors for a while and I'm not planning on going back to carboys anytime soon. When I would lift a glass carboy out of the fermentor "is this the day it shatters" was always on my mind. The two large handles make it easier to lift. Having the trub below the spigot is a big plus for me. The large opening makes it easy to rinse out. I put the lid back on after rinsing and clean it in my Mark II keg and carboy washer.

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 17
Back