• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost recipes

RHawth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Had to move my recipes to a new disk as the old one was too full and slow.  Did that and then to change the directory location in BS2.  I tried to use the import wizard and when I select the document library it sends an error message, "A Recipe.BSM" file could not be found.  True enough, they are all called BSMX files but BS2 cannot seem to find them.  I can open them one at a time but what a PIA.  Is this a bug or ?

If you've created any recipe or profiles in the new folder while trying to solve this, just use the export function to park them outside of the documents/beersmith2 folder.

Then, simply copy the old documents/beersmith2 folder and paste to replace the documents/beersmith2 folder on the new hard drive. All of your recipes and profiles will be restored.

You can then open the parked files with BeerSmith and just drag/drop them into the recipe window.

Thank you for your quick response.  That, however does not work.  I went so far at to backup my files, uninstall BS2 then reinstall.  The new version simply cannot find them via the import wizard (error message sic).  The data is there, and I can open files one at a time to discover what they are but this is not the way it should work imo.  Again, thanks for your suggestion.  I sure wish it had worked.

I found a solution.  Examining the datestamp on files named recipex.bsmx where x =  .1.2.3.4.5 I opened one and found the missing files.  I needed to reorganize them sligthly but that worked and all is well.  I still do not understand the error message though from the Import Wizard.  It rejects using the same file folder to look for recipes because it says, error "there is no recipe.bsm file".  True enough, they are all recipex.bsmx as far as I can tell.  But it works and I have yet another backup.

RHawth said:
Again, thanks for your suggestion.  I sure wish it had worked.

My explanation did not include the use of the import wizard. The Import wizard is specific to bringing recipes from BeerSmith V1 and Promash. Of course it didn't work. Twice.

My explanation said to simply cut & paste the old folder as the replacement to the new folder.

Simply open BeerSmith and the recipes should be there.

Back