• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need inspiration... a Belgian that doesnt use pilsen or oats.

tpcrouch

Apprentice
Reaction score
Working on a project that has 3 Belgian style yeasts to choose from but does not include pilsen malt. Any suggestions as to examples. OG below 1.060 too...

I was afraid of that... One and only one real choice. At least it's a broad category(16b)

The style is definitely dominated by pils mals, but there are a few more wheat and pale ale recipes in the book 'brew like a monk' .  You may have to raise that OG a bit.

Honestly, I'm not sure that Pils malt is all that much of a flavor in *most* Belgian styles. I think it's nearly meaningless in sour and darker styles. If you can pick up Pils Malt flavor in a Belgian Dark Strong, then you're trying too hard...  ::)

The main thing is lightness and toastiness in the base malt. Getting to 10% or more sugar additions will mute the malt flavor a lot. One of my favorite Belgian Blondes is Rahr 2 row and a little Vienna Malt. It lets the yeast shine through.

I sure cant tell the difference between pale & pils in any ale recipe, it looked to me like he was looking for style correctness above all else.  To satisfy the inspiration part, I was tempted to type out Noel Blake's essay and recipe (no pils) that won him the contest that led to Ommegangs Three Philosophers, but it wasn't on the internet, and I don't know him, and I don't know if he has copyright on it, and I was too lazy to type it out.  But everyone should buy the book just to read it.

This will be my first Belgian (10yr homebrewer) and the OG/IBU are capped as it's a competition beer with limited types of malts and hops from limited suppliers (Locally grown competition). I think I've settled on a BPA. I'm picking up my test batch materials at the LHBS today and will give it a whirl (pun intended). I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the flavor profile. I love dubbels and triples and quads, (Weyerbacher is tops on my list at the moment, as their Tango and Quad are amazing) but couldn't remember a Pale. So I did a little shopping, all in the name of research of course.

Attachments

• 10644988_10204713479330765_8711958120422294682_n.jpg
    10644988_10204713479330765_8711958120422294682_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 351
Brewed a test batch last night. Messsed up my volume somehow as I wasn't close to 2.5gal but the OG is 1.052 out of an expected 1.054. I used more caramel then you might think is right as the color is trending towards Amber, but it's still in class specs.

As for the research beers, still have the Ommegang and St Bernardus but the Sky Fox Grissette is terrific. Exactly what I expected. The DC Brau was boozy and American ipa hopped.

Just pulled my tester from Primary to secondary. OG was 1.052, now at 1.006. RVA Yeast Labs is a beast. Color is a shade lighter than Rare Vos and taste is clean. Will see what a brief secondary and carbonation does. Thanks for your input.

Back