• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 and Blichmann Breweasy

Terbeer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just got a Blichmann Breweasy RIMS system, then got BeerSmith 2.  So I have to adapt recipes to the RIMS method, and need to know what to choose for the Mash description - there are about 20 choices.  Plus, most methods add water in increments -
the Breweasy starts with the expected full volume of water.  So there are some methods that have to be changed there.  Can BeerSmith be adapted to account for this system?

It's pretty easy.  Every mash profile can be modified.

The liquor to grist ratio is something you can modify in the first step. Simply double click on the step and enter the water amount or ratio desired.

Additional steps become "Temperature" type. BeerSmith doesn't care if you use RIMS, HERMS, Direct heat or a Solar Array. All of them have a rise time and step hold time. So, you enter the expected rise time and step hold time you need. The water ratio should be the same as the previous step.

I already know almost everything can be modified in BeerSmith - but I started with a recipe - with generalized steps (time and temp) - that came with the ingredients.  Then I plugged in the available data into BeerSmith and got some different steps...then consulted the BrewEasy manual and got some more different steps...how do we select the correct parameters (Mash type, etc...) from these 3 sources?  I have just moved up from pot-on-the stove brewing where I always got the same set of instructions in each recipe...none ever mentioned a dough-in...or batch sparge...or fly sparge...evidently there is a lot more that I have to learn about brewing (OK, I even read Palmer's book, nothing there I could use) so where do I get that information?

My instructions to modify an existing mash profile was to speed up the process of creating recipes for your new system.

I'm astonished you said, "I even read Palmer's book, nothing there I could use." Were you looking for a how-to for your exact system? That's going to be hard to find anywhere. But, the basics of any brewery is to extract sugar from grain, boil it with hops and chill it for fermentation.

Yes, the choices can seem overwhelming. Yes, there can often be conflicting instructions. I can understand your frustration.

Within Palmer's (apparently useless) book is an explanation of mashing, enzymes and temperatures. This is your guide to creating a mash profile that'll work for you. All of the sparge styles you listed are simply choices brewers make for their situation. The process of brewing is the same, just procedures change based on brewer preference.

This forum is for specifics of using BeerSmith. Just post your questions to the Brewing Discussion forum to get general advice, or to All Grain/Advanced for more technical detail about brewing details like enzymes and such.

Back