• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CT homebrewer back in the game

CTJay

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello fellow beer nuts. Figure with all the information in the world available at the our finger tips and were all here on a brewing site “nuts” seemed appropriate.

Just In case you can’t tell by my handle, Jay from CT here.

I used to brew an insane amount. To the point where I was looking to open my own brewery. BS CT Laws, inspectors, permit fees, wife, and then 4 kids kind of killed that dream for a while. 25yrs later the CT laws have opened up some making it much easier in this beer desert state (compared to west coast). Kids are grown and the wife still tells me what to do.

Brewing bug never left and has returned in a major league way. Decided to put a system together and start back up one of my many passions. Which leads me here to your online brewing community. By the way I’m all grain and a keg guy. Already grabbed a half dozen kegs and need a dozen more ASAP.

So as of today my ½ barrel system isn’t completed but it is ready to brew on. Still need to put hard gas lines on, add a third burner I didn’t think I needed as well as another pump just because I think it’s cool as chit to have pumps that weren’t available back when I used to brew on a gravity fed 3 tier system. I learned to weld to make my brew stand. It’s 3.5” steel. Little over kill but the material was free. So solid you can build a dam house on it. Buddy welded my kegs up for me. I made all internal drains, whirlpool arm, sparge shower and such. All SS ½” ID throughout the entire system.

First I’m doing 5 gal batches to get the processes down. Started off this past weekend making a Bud Light for my friend that welded my kegs. Wasn’t my first or even my 2487th choice to brew but I always take care of the people looking out for me. Tonight I’ll make a few starters for a Brown Ale and a Porter to be brewed later this week. Next step is setting up a chest freezer for Lagering.

i'm a big time fisherman that fishes for anything that swims. Free dive, Spear fish, Scuba dive, Archery, Bike (HD)and drink like a fish. In RI and the Cape more than I'm home in CT per my tax you to death state sucks for fishing compared.

Enough about me. Any other CTers here?

Jay

Hello fellow beer nuts. Figure with all the information in the world available at the our finger tips and were all here on a brewing site “nuts” seemed appropriate.

Well if we're working this is an outlet to at least keep reading, postulating, and arguing about beer.  It keeps our priorities straight til we get back home to the keg.

Back