• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Documentation improvement

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
BrewSmith is great software -- a terrific value.  The interface is clean and reasonably intuitive.  My kudos to all who were involved in the developoment

I am a new user so my first impressions might help future releases.  My current view is that documentation could be improved.  Most users are used to the typical help menus with a keyword  index capability and a search box.  The current approach is OK for sequential thinkers but folks who want to understand a feature/capability the ability to search for it and see references and answers would be helpful.

As an example, Notes is a product capability.  Every user has a notion of what a note is and its use.  My expectation was some ability to add a note to a recipe and I attempted that to no avail.  Probably that is not a valid use, but it is hard to determine from the existing documentation. 

Another documentation area that might be improved is an overview of BeerSmith and what it is intended for.  It might seem obvious but the new user could benefit from a short discussion of the program and its design and intended use.  Your three screens of tutorials on the web site but the help documentation does not lead the user to that resource. 

Please take these suggestions as 'one time' views because as I get more familiar my concerns will disappear.

Hi,
  I agree 100% with you - while I've continued to update the program documentation, the program overviews are in need of an update.  I will certainly do this in the near future for the next update.

Thanks,
Brad

Here is my current list of stuff I am/was puzzled about -- it is a list of stuff from a new user. 

General design and usage intent of the software.
How Inventory gets debited
Undo/Redo buttons and location -- only appears when there is actually something to work on
Recover table -- what is it etc.
Database backup -- found the info in a FAQ but probably should be a File function
Add notes to a recipe for display/reminder
Better discussion of the mash profiles and the sparge water recommendations

I will add others as I use the product -- not to complain but to have a list of items that may want to be addressed. 

Back