• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Off Beer Colors

bfred805

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks,

What are be some of the factors that might be contributing to off colors in my beer? Recently, I brewed an Allagash Wit clone that had an expected SRM in the 2-4 range. My target was supposed to be 3.3 according to ( http://www.brew-dudes.com/belgian-white-ale-recipe/248 ) but after racking the beer into secondary 1 week ago, it is sitting in the 10-12 range? During primary it was much lighter but still to dark at about a 5.3. I assume that this is expected to lighten up as it gets bottled and allowed a few more days to settle out.

Is there anything I can do to bring back the color without compromising the beer or am I better off just enjoying a darker, not-so unconventional, Belgian Zwart?

Are you trying to evaluation the color through the depth of the carboy?

The SRM scale is meant to be evaluated through a depth of 1 cm.

All beers are darker when seen through a deeper sample.

Thanks, I learned that. After bottling and just playing this beer out, the color came way back down to expectations.

Back