• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

British invert sugar syrups

sjcarter

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't see this as having been addressed before - if I missed the topic, please point me in the right direction :)

Has anyone added Number 1, 2, 3, and 4 British Invert Syrups to the ingredients database? These are used as a colour/fermentable agent in a lot of traditional British beers such as Dark Mild.

Thanks!

I bought some Invert No 1 (25Kg) form Ragus Ltd (Ragus is sugar in reverse). £51.
Its colour is 15.2 SRM and is a yellow unrefined solid sugar mass.

If you want to make this yourselves, try:-
3% treacle (Invert no 1 has a light treacle aroma)
Of the balance:
1/3rd glucose, 1/3rd demarara sugar, 1/3rd sucrose (table sugar

don't worry that the demarara and sucrose are not inverted - the yeast produces invertase which does this for you.

The Invert No 1 is not just sugar, it contributes a lusciousness and complexity to the beer taste.
The higher Inverts (2,3,4) contain more of the darker sugars (treacle and muscovado). Try matching the colour and then taste. Remember that the sugar will mask the intensity of the final fermented taste.

Back