• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First all grain (Boiling)

lebonro

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'll make my first all grain soon (20 litre )
I have an Igloo 10 gal. for the mash.
I'm not equipped to boil in one kettle at this time.
So I plan to calculate my off boiling in two cooking pot of (18 litre), split hops and spices in proportion.

Is it a good idea?
Good or bad experiences with this setup?

Many thanks!!

Congrats on going the all grain route. The difference between extract and all grain, to me anyway, is like the difference between Folgers crystals and grinding your own beans. One is not unlike coffee (or beer), but the other one is goooooooood.

I figure that after tasting the results, you're not going to go back to extract. At that point you will want a kettle, and that is a subject of its own. All I can say is don't skimp. It's one of the most expensive and most important parts of your brewery. Do some research and learn from the mistakes that people like me have made before buying one.

That said, I guess my first question would be how you plan to chill it. For example if you have an immersion chiller, I'd suggest staggering the pots so that when the first is chilled, the second is coming off the boil. That way it doesn't sit around any longer than it has to.

I think in order to get the pre-boil gravities of both kettles the same, you'll have to mix them after you're done sparging...  You're runnings will start at a higher gravity and finish at a lower gravity, so you'll have to make sure both kettles have the same pre-boil gravity.

Back