• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strange color

J

JFMichaud

Hi, I'm new to brewing beer and biab method. last week i've manage to complete my first biab session with a orange/coriander APA (allgrain)

I've sanitized everything and no problem during the process. My OG 1,046 and i'm gonna have a look by the end of the week for another gravity check

My concern is the color wich the wort turn out...

Picture 1 is after the cooling process and picture 2 is after pitching the yeast (wyeast denny's fav 50) (i sanitized the pack before pitching and aerate the wort before pitching) the temps was 20 when i pitched it and until now it was in a controled temp at 17

my question is about that color? Is there a problem?

thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    465.3 KB · Views: 693
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 673
You are seeing lots and lots of active yeast. When the yeasts have done their job they will flocculate and settle out and you will slowly get the original colour back (usually takes a couple of weeks). If you are going straight to a keg you can cold crash after fermentation is over to help yeast settle more quickly. if you are going to carbonate in the bottle you will need some yeast still active so I would not chill as much.

Thanks i've just checked the gravity and it's at 1,012

it needs another week and after that, pitch dryhop and rack for another week, then in the bottle...

it doesn't taste bad...hope the color will change

Just wondering if the colour of your beer ever changed. I just brewed a batch using the BIAB technique that looked exactly like that. Even after leaving it in secondary for two weeks and another two weeks conditioning it has the strangest foggy colour. It tastes fine, but this is the first time I have seen this much fogginess in my beer.

Back