• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Belgian Tripel feedback please

raaabs

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have tried making a Tripel recipe based on a lot of things that i have read, can you please give me some feedback?
This is the first recipe I am designing myself.
Sorry the formatting is a bit difficult
Thank you a lot :)

Here it is:

Recipe: Grannes Trippel

Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1,077 SG
Estimated Color: 11,5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32,2 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
5,50 kg              Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3,0 EBC)            Grain        1        84,6 %       
0,20 kg              Caramunich Malt (90,0 EBC)              Grain        2        3,1 %       
0,80 kg              Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0,0 EBC)          Sugar        3        12,3 %       
40,00 g              Saaz [3,60 %] - Boil 60,0 min            Hop          4        15,8 IBUs   
40,00 g              Saaz [3,60 %] - Boil 30,0 min            Hop          5        12,2 IBUs   
10,00 g              Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min  Hop          6        2,1 IBUs     
10,00 g              Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2,50 %] - Boil 30,0 min  Hop          7        2,1 IBUs     
0,50 Items          Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15,0 mins)        Fining        8        -           
0,50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15,0 mins)          Other        9        -           
1,0 pkg              Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787 Yeast        10      -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6,50 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                                Step Temperature    Step Time         
Mash In          Add 23,00 l of water and heat to 50,0 C ove 50,0 C              20 min             
Mash Step        Heat to 65,0 C over 10 min                  65,0 C              30 min             
Mash Step        Heat to 70,0 C over 4 min                  70,0 C              30 min             
Mash Out          Heat to 77,0 C over 4 min                  77,0 C              10 min             

Sparge: Fly sparge with 8,35 l water at 75,6 C
Notes:
------
Add sugar at 15 minutes left of boil

Here's my recipe for a Tripel that everyone really enjoyed. Some of it the same other parts different. I used a Antwerp water profile and Dingemans Belgium Pilsner Malt. I developed this recipe from Stan Hieronymus's book Brew Like A Monk.

Attachments

• tripel.pdf
    162.1 KB · Views: 342
Thanks for the recipe!
I have been wanting to read that book as I am fond of Belgian beers. What are your thoughts on it? Worth a read?

Brew Like A Monk is one book I read from cover to cover. I love Belgium beer and I make a lot of it. It seems I always have one on tap.

I might suggest the addition of a small amount of Aromatic Malt to the grain bill to round out your recipe.  Otherwise I think it looks fine.

Cheers,

Back