• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oktoberfest Lager

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a Oktoberfest lager that will be ready for bottling in 3 weeks.  I have been told I "may need to add some fresh yeast at the time of bottling".  Can anyone explain how I would know if I may need to add fresh yeast?  Then can anyone explain how I add the fresh yeast?  Add the yeast to the secondary fermenter?  Or add the yeast with the priming sugar in the bottles?

Thanks,
John

I brewed the Oktoberfest late this year. :)

that recent a brew, and not-too-high alcohol levels, means you probably do not need to add yeast for bottle carbonation.  Might take four weeks to get good levels of CO2 in a lager bottle, but it will come. 

I add a small amount of cane sugar before bottling then store the bottles at a cool room temperature to help the yeast kick in. I find it normally carbonates perfectly within a couple of weeks. I then put the bottles back in the fridge to bring them down to drinking temperature once carbonated. I've never added more yeast. I once made a very dry beer and forgot to add the sugar. It took months to carbonate properly but it turned out perfectly in the end.

I add far less sugar than most brewers because I think a lightly carbonated beer tastes better. It also helps to avoid bottle gushers.

You just need to add the priming sugar as instructed by the software.

Back