Author Topic: Large amount of sparge water question/concern  (Read 4839 times)

Offline mr_beer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Large amount of sparge water question/concern
« on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:21 AM »
This is a more general question regarding a number of recipes that I have entered into BeerSmith.  It is probably not a ‘bug’ but I posted it here for a start. 

I told BeerSmith I'm going to do a partial mash. The software said I should mash with 1.4 qts of water, and then sparge with 6.43 gallons, leaving me with a boil volume of 6.41 gallons.

My understanding is that sparging with that much water will draw out excess tannins.  Should I not worry about the tannins because of amount of sparge water? 

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Large amount of sparge water question/concern
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
Yes,
  I do recommend sparging with less water.  A few gallons should be sufficient.  Add the rest of the water after that and then mix in your other ingredients and boil.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline mr_beer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 05:48:56 AM »
You might want to change the language in the recipe directions ...
    Sparge Round 1:  Sparge with x.xx gal of water
    Remove language regarding Sparge Round 2

That would help literal folks like me who often slavishly follow the instructions!!

Thanks for the quick answer.   

Offline mmonacel

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »
I've run into this as well.  Being new to partial mashing, I actually sparged with the 6 gallons of water that was instructed (we'll see what happens with the beer).  Is there a particular mash profile I can choose for partial mashing that will provide the correct amount of sparge water?  Is this a bug, or have I entered things incorrectly somehow?

Thanks!

Offline cellarman

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:48:39 AM »
I think your issue is in your equipment profile. You need to add the amount of top-up water you're going to add to the kettle and/or fermenter. It sounds like these are set to zero so Beersmith is assuming you want to get the full volume from the mash.

Brian