• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

White Labs WLP001 vs Wyeast 1056

If you've use both, which do you prefer?

• White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Mofo

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Many recipes call for one or the other. For those who have used both, which do you prefer? Please comment to say what you've found the differences to be, or which strain favors which conditions.

I've used both many times, but haven't done a comparison batch yet... good idea.

They all come from the same strain. 

So, any differences that may exist are due to population drift at their respective manufacturers.  US-05 is a dry yeast, and does have a different flavor profile due to the effects of processing a dry yeast.  But, it originates from the same strain as the liquid products. 

I've used US-05 many, many times and WLP001 as well.  I've never used 1056.  I find that US-05 finishes a little sweeter and about 2 points above a WLP001 brew.  But, the rest of the flavor profile is the same to my pallet. 

The only reason I opt for the 1056 is because I prefare the smack packs.  Not too helpful I know....

I've used all three.  I use US-05 when I don't have time to make a starter, because of my travel schedule.  I keep a few packets of it on hand all the time.  I've used WLP001 just once, so not much input there.  I use Wyeast 1056 a lot.  I harvest it and use it over and over.  It was basically my house yeast strain for a long time.

I too, prefer smack packs over the vials.  It seems like I occasionally get a vial that no matter how much I shake it up, it's all gummy and stuck up in the cap or stays in the vial.  It's a clay-like consistency when that happens.  I never get that problem with a smack pack.

Back