• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting rice flavors in a beer

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I want to brew an horchata milk stout. For those that aren't familiar, its a Mexican Cinnamon Rice milk drink. Rather delicious, but I'm not sure how to get the rice flavors in a beer. I could always add some Rumchata to the brew but I don't want to do that if i can get the flavors in the beers another way.

I'm not sure that the rice has a flavor, so much as a texture. To me, it's creaminess is a major part of Horchata. A combination of dextrin to build up residual body and protein for silkiness would probably get you there. The additional body gained from 6-row malt seems like a good place to start.

Fermentation tends to scrub out any light graininess from rice. Even with Sake, the major flavor is Koji and alcohol, not the rice itself.

I had a Chi Stout that used 6-row and oats to get the milky creaminess of Chai lattes.

Ok I've never used oats or 6 row before. You have any suggestions on how much to use?

Use the 6-Row as all of your base malt. For oats, it depends on the format. Flaked oats at a rate you'd use for an Oatmeal Stout. Simpson Golden Oats, I'd use 30% more, and they have a nice coconut flavor.

I just used 30% malted whole oats for the first time, today. They don't really open up, just sort of flatten through the mill. By the end of the mash, a lot of hulls were floating and all of them were empty. I used them in a Saison that'll have some Brett, so the protein is for the Brett to munch on. I don't know how much texture I'll get from it, but the wort was very creamy.

Back