• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting at what Temp

S

sooners3210

I'm about to make my first beer, I was wondering at what temp should I ferment at.  My first beer is going to be an ale.  Should I ferment at or around 66 for 10 days and then the second fermentation at the same temp for 10 days?

Even though it's an ale, and generally ferments at a higher temperature, most yeast strains have an "Ideal" temperature.  I'd think that with most ale yeasts, you'd be OK at 66F though.

As far as time, I've always heard the 1, 2, 3 rule, and it's worked for me.  1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3 weeks bottle conditioning.  Good luck, and let us know if we can help more.  (I've also always heard ferment/condition temperatures should be the same, and remain fairly stable.)

So the 3 weeks in the bottle should it be in the fridge or at room temp.  I have heard to leave it at room temp for 2 weeks and then the refrigerator. 

I'd do 3 weeks at room temp, but...  I can never resist, and have to pop one after a week...  It isn't carbonated as well, and the beer is a little "green" but it's still good to taste the fruits of your labor.  :)  I guess what I do is after 1 week I'll usually pop one a week until they are carbonated well, then go from there.  I only put what I want in the fridge, but that's just me :)  I've had one beer that I made that IMHO was actually better warm than cold too, so go with whatever tastes best for you.

Thau

Back