• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Volume for Mash In and Sacch Rest

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My question is how much water volume should be used for Mash In and Sacch Rest?  I see suggestions of 1.25 Qts per pound of grain and 1.5 Qts per pound of grain.  Any ideas on which I should use?  I looked at the BeerSmith software and it looks like they use 1.25 Qts/lbs.  Also is there any advantage of using more water or less?

There's a lot of variables that could effect your decision. Listing them all will make the decision seem really hard, but it's not. If you have very low mineral levels in your water, then it doesn't matter much which ratio you use. Pick the one that is easiest to work with, but still fits your mashtun.

The main variable: mash pH vs mineral buffering power.

Meaning, how much does your water resist the malt's natural desire to lower the pH to 5.2 to 5.4? You can go so far as to get a detailed water report and enter it all in a spreadsheet.

Or, on brewday, you can just line up a few coffee cups with an ounce of crushed malt and then add hot water to each. Start with 2 oz, then 2.5, then 3 as this will represent 1:1, 1.25:1 and 1.5:1 ratios (as qt/lb). let them rest for 15 minutes at 150-155F (microwave them for 5 seconds and stir to bring the temp up).

Then just use test strips from your LHBS on a little of the wort cooled to room temp. The one closest to 5.4 wins. 

You can just toss all of the test wort into your mashtun along with the rest of the grain and water. Easy, quick and no waste!

That is the best answer I have ever seen to that question! Brewfun is a fountain of knowledge and good ideas as ever (Now any chance you can make a comment on my post concerning perceived bitterness?)

Be careful, Brewfun! You're making the whole brewing plus science thing entirely too easy!

+1

durrettd said:
Be careful, Brewfun! You're making the whole brewing plus science thing entirely too easy!

+1

Ha! Well, at least I still have my reputation for being difficult!  8)

KernelCrush said:
Do you factor in the offset for strips vs meters

There ya go... Driving off into the weeds....  ;D

Short answer: yes. I said "cooled to room temperature." That's the closest alignment possible.

Long answer: There is no definite mash pH, only a range that's wider than targeted by Brewers. So much is going to depend on water, grist, time and temperature. Not to mention flavor goals of the style & brewer. Further, different strips will read different ranges. Again, "cooled to room temperature" limits accumulated error. Lastly, let's remember that the OP asked about water ratio, which again, has no absolute correct answer. So, my focus on pH was about establishing that.

For a new all grain brewer, it's a starting point. Not the end of the learning process, by any means.

I appreciate the question, KC. It gives me a chance to explain my approach to the answer.

Back