• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

AZ Checkn' in.........

LG49

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all, I see a real diverse bunch of craft brewers here. Nice to see so many in one place!
I'm new to BeerSmith and find it to be a real fine tool for designing beers of all kinds! I've used it for 3 five gallon batches now and I see already that my beer will be much improved! Not that it was bad, but it was a lot of guess work and trial and error.
I've been crafting beer since 1978 and have always used all grain recipes. With the exception of a few gift ingredient brews. I.E. canned extracts received as a gift or from some one who received it as a gift but didn't know what to do with it.
Anyway, I have recently retired and find myself with plenty of time to craft beers, so my interest is heightened by this BeerSmith program. Should be a fun ride! 

Thanks Mofo........appreciate the welcome. LG

Wow 1978! Great to see someone with such experience joining the forum. What kind of stuff do you brew?

Welcome and Happy Holidays!

Hi TA, Thanks for your reply. And Happy Holiday/Christmas/New Year to you and yours.

As to what I brew I've always stuck to mostly German style brews. I used to make a lot of Dortmunder both light and dark. I did spend some time in Germany in the 60's and 70's and grew to believe that they had brewing down to a very fine science.
I also did the heavy British and Russian style stouts and enjoyed them on special occasions.  But with the rise of the Wheat beers I've pretty much decided that they are the best suited to my taste and enjoyment. As well as those who come by to sample.
I usually start out my brewing season (Nov - Mar) with a simple Hefeweizen then a Dunkelweizen then move on to a multitude of other Weiss brews. This year I brewed a Berliner Weiss (not ready to drink yet) Thought it would be nice to try a nice light thirst quencher brew for the summer next year. Never tried it before. Then on to a Rauch Weiss (smoked malt) and a Roggenweiss (Rye Wheat) I can't get through a season without a batch of Honig Weizen (Honey Wheat). I try to keep them around 4.5 to 5.1%. But the Berliner Weiss will be about 3.2%
Anyway that's my story and I'm stick'n to it!

Welcome to our little, but growing, group LG!  I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.

Thank you Scott...........

Sounds like an interesting mix of craft brews! I've not used fruit in any of my stuff yet, but I'm thinking about it this winter! I do use orange peels now and then for a little citrus touch. Like in a Blue Moon Clone. I'm think'n maybe some raspberry Berliner Weiss might be a good place to start.
Have a great Brew Year!

Merry Christmas LG!

I started off with German beers when I lived high on the mountain where it is cold (relatively). These days I have gone back to my roots brewing mostly British styles and the American varients. I do brew a wheat/rye beer that started off German, but is now definitely American as the wife does not like the banana.

If you want to add orange flavors try Amarillo hops.

Cheers!

Back