• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A few wanted things from a new user but old brewer!

wortmonger

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello to you guys at BeerSmith,
  I am writing you for the first time to let you know some things that I would like to see added to your wonderful program.  ;DBefore I go into my personal recommendations, I would like to tell you how happy I am to have purchased your wonderful product.  ;)It is chalk-full of helpful little gadgets and things I use for brewing.  This being said, I have a few things that I believe would make it even better that I would like to see added in the future.  Please pardon the big list.  I simply waited until I could think of everything to say all at once.  I am definitely not complaining for lack of information on brewing from your program, lol.

1)  I feel there needs to be a more in-depth dilution tool.  I mean the dilution/blending information should be on the recipe screen so one can adjust his/her pre-diluted/pre-blended recipe for higher gravity wort and to adjust the hop rate for the final beer.

2)  Carbonation doesn’t have a value in the side menu screen or on the recipe screen for priming using gyle / spiese / krausen / unfermented or currently fermenting wort / etc….  I would like to see the ability to prime my kegs on the recipe screen with all available means.  There is a place for corn sugar keg priming, but not for anything else.

3)  Decoction information on the recipe screen doesn’t account for a liquid only decoction.  It would be nice to have the ability to calculate the volume of wort to be boiled and added back to the mash in addition to the already calculated “thick portion removed for decoction” that it already calculates.  I used the current information given for decoction, only completely liquid, and was way under my 168*F targeted increase for mash out.

4)  Rice needs to be addressed in grains and extracts in all its forms, as well as other adjuncts.  I use par-boiled, but others use regular rice. Also, when using rice and boiling it prior to addition to the mash, it would be nice to show the information involved on my recipe screen.  I could then tell how much my pounds of boiled rice would raise my mash, and how hot the rest of my step/infusion water would have to be.  I could also tell how much step/infusion water I would need to finish the step, or if I already had enough.

5)  Under water profile, it would be nice to show mineral reduction from pre-boiling and cooling.  I have very hard water, but it seems almost perfect after pre-boiling and allowing the chalky stuff to settle the day before I brew.  I then decant off the sediment and it is great tasting, I would just like to know what I removed based on the input numbers from my water report.

These are just a few that would definitely help me out, and I hope others as well.  Keep up the great work on your program and you will have many more happy brewers, such as me. 8)

Thanks for the suggestions as well as the kind comments!

I continue to work towards future versions...there is always more to do!

Thanks,
Brad

Back