• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Craft beer from England

TangoMan

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been brewing all grain now for just over two years, in that time I have gone from plastic buckets and King Kegs to stainless Cornie's and Conical fermenator. My brewing has slowly evolved doing a brew every couple of weeks, and my interest has grown, especially in craft ales after having met a couple of head brewers at Siren and Magic Rock brewing in the UK. I have been using Beersmith now for just over eight months and it has become invaluable. The last batch of beer I produced I would dare say is my best yet, having recently been getting in to dry hopping (keg) and the use of lactose. What I am after getting a better understanding of now is recognizing off flavors, preventing them and developing my style of beers. Craft Ale is becoming a big thing in the UK with many craft beer festivals popping up in London. I think these are exciting times in the brewing industry and I have high regard for many of my American Compatriots and look forward to learning from them.

Welcome Aboard, Sounds like you've gotten off to a very serious start crafting brews! Would like to try a pint or two of your stuff! :)
I'm eying the stainless conical fermenters myself, but haven't been able to justify the cost. Still using the Brewcraft 30L plastic fermenters. They work fine and I already have them. But, I am starting this year graduating to the Corny kegs. Sure cut's down on bottle cleaning and storage space. So far I love them!
Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Thanks LG49, yes, been brewing for a few years now but still lots to learn. That's the best bit, hence been lurking on forums and reading up on plenty of Brad Smith blogs. Are you in the UK, if so an exchange is always possible.
Stainless steel to me is the way to go, I have a friend who regularly brews from kits, in fact he got me in to brewing. He still insists on plastic as it is cheap, but I taste off flavours in his beers which I am convinced are due to oxidising.
Check out the Ss range, they do some excellent products at good prices
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=585
Plan on getting some of these units myself.
Watch out for the spring valves on the cornies, disassemble and clean them regularly as they are a point for contamination. Great kit, you will enjoy, oh and beer matures more quickly in a keg.

Back