• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA

TAHammerton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So I just had my first Stone beers. They are new to the islands and just started a distribution deal with Maui Brewing Company. So I bought a 12 pack sampler, the last beer I got to was the "Black IPA" as I have never had one I liked and don't get me started on the stupidity of calling something a Black Pale Ale. Anyway I have to admit I was a bit disappointed until I got to this beer. This IS the kind of beer I love!!!!

Ok so now I have to try and clone it. I am asking for help from the more experienced/smarter brewers on this forum.

The grain bill seems to be fairly straightforward. Tastes to me like 2-row pale malt, a bit of darker crystal maybe some special roast. I am not getting chocolate or black malt, I think they may have gone midnight wheat to get the colour. I think I detect some roast barley in a very small amount.

I think the Hops are something like the Chinook/Centennial/Cascade classic NW varieties. There is a floral element I am having trouble pinning down. Perhaps that comes from Antanum?

I could be completely wrong about all of this, anyone want to put me straight?

Perhaps Simcoe. The dark malt is Carafa III dehusked. About 0.5#

An interesting thread on Stone black ipa.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stone-xi-anniversary-clone-51521/

I've made this one before. It was pretty good too. Don't think I lagered it though.
http://hopville.com/recipe/118749/american-ipa-recipes/triple-hopped-black-ale
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/triple-hopped-black-ale (think this is the same as the hopville one).

Thanks Grathan!

The beer I am drinking definitely does not have Simcoe in it. I think that recipe comes from a previous version of their Black IPA.

For anyone interested this is my attempt to produce something similar:

Recipe: Cascadian Black Ale Recipe
Brewer: Tom Hammerton
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.62 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.12 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.082 SG
Estimated Color: 35.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 116.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
14 lbs 14.0 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        87.5 %       
14.0 oz              Breiss Blackprinz (500.0 SRM)            Grain        2        5.1 %       
14.0 oz              Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    Grain        3        5.1 %       
6.0 oz                Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                      Grain        4        2.2 %       
2.00 oz              Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          5        81.9 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min  Hop          6        13.3 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop          7        19.5 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min    Hop          8        0.6 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min          Hop          9        0.8 IBUs     
2.0 pkg              California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast        10      -           
1.50 oz              Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop          11      0.0 IBUs     
1.50 oz              Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days      Hop          12      0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs
----------------------------
Name                    Description                  Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In                  Add 19.99 qt of water at 162. 150.0 F      60 min       
Mash Out                Add 4.00 qt of water at 211.0 159.0 F      10 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.79 gal water at 168.0 F

I'm working on giving your Cascadian Ale recipe a shot, but would first like to have more data on that Briess Blackprinz malt.
I got the Color (Lovibond) from Briess' webpage, but am not finding a lot of the information to load up a new entry on the grain table of BeerSmith.  Can you provide that info?  Does BeerSmith have a place where we can download new ingredients for the database?

I would think that a supplier would be eager to supply that info to the Beersmith family of brewers.

I like that you're under 40 SRM.  I recently brewed my first IBL (India Black Lager, I refuse to call it pale) and shot for at least 40 SRM.  I loved it, but definitely went overboard with the dark specialty malts.

Re Blackprinz - I have to admit I winged it as I also had trouble getting info. Here is what I entered:
Potential 1.025
Yield 54%
Diastatic Power 120
Protein 11.7

Just my best guess - could be totally wrong

Regarding the recipe it is still a work in process. I think I will move the late edition hops to the whirlpool. Also I am getting considerably better efficiency than 68% and most people will, so the grain amounts need some adjusting.

TAHammerton said:
Diastatic Power 120

Although it makes no difference to the current BeerSmith calculations, Blackprinz has no diastatic power. It also rings in at 550 Lovibond.

Thanks Brewfun for picking up that stupid mistake. I knew that - i just really should not copy numbers without thinking about what they mean.

Regarding the colour Breiss says it is 500L. http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_BlackprinzMalt.pdf

I just made a porter with it and although it is not quite ready yet, but the sample I just tasted the Black prinz was working very well. it's got that nice dry roasty flavour without being acrid.

TAHammerton said:

That's cool. It'll work.

The numbers published on general sheets like that are minimum targets. The number I quoted is averaged from a few lot analysis reports. With stuff this dark it doesn't matter much, except I need it to get a certain shade of red. It's the difference between 7 or 9 lbs in an 1100 lb grist.

Thanks again Brewfun, it's great to have a professional brewer on here who can tell us how things really are. So 550 L it is.

Back