• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops Utilization

B

Big Tex

Can you help me with how to use the Hops utilization setting in the equipment section?  The help text said that the utilization for batches less than 20 gallons, should be set to 100%.  In the current issue of BYO magazine, they said that home brewers typically only see 40% hop utilization with commercial brewers getting around 50%.  How does that relate to this setting?

I read some earlier posts that said I don't need to change it but I'd like to understand better on how to use this setting.  Is 40% hop utilization the same as 100% within BeerSmith?

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,
  BeerSmith is set up to calculate small batches (< 20 gal) by default, so a hop utilization of 100% corresponds to a typical homebrewer usage.  If you are brewing large batches (> 20 gal) or running a microbrewery you will get much higher utilizations (200% or more depending on the setup).

We do have some professional brewers using BeerSmith, but in general, the 100% setting is the correct one to use unless you are brewing very large batches.

Brad

Brad,

The utilization value works for me as well... I was just attempting to see how that value equates to the values being mentioned in the article "The Bitter Truth" in the October '07 issue of BYO magazine.

Cheers,
Gary

Back